Links for Websites
Here are my favourite resources for making neocities websites with!
I've made this list for myself mostly, because it's easier to check a site with a nice layout than delve into my bookmarks.
My CSS skills are a work in progress; I much prefer editing a layout someone else has pre-made. WHich is the traditional way of doing it, retro kids. If you right-click, View Source you can see the HTML code of a website to check out features you might like to copy for your own site. Back in the day, the best layout-makers would have a list of rules as long as your arm, so check what creators are OK with. But basically, starting with someone else's stuff and tinkering with it for your own is the best way to learn!
- Eggramen - simple, clear, my perfect kind of layouts, lovely for text, really good for editing
- Tentacool's Directory - great selection of layouts, plus coding help, simple-yet-timeless
- Repth - nostalgia-inducing for the 00s, but still quite clean and elegant layouts from a neocities user
- List of layout sites for neopets petsites!
- Lovely Designs - very old-school 00s layouts, sorted by div/table/iframe as you prefer
- Sadgrl's layout builder - for laying out a basic grid of boxes to get started with
- AlmostSweet - couple of tumblr/LJ-looking layouts
- 102 Patterns - little code snippets in pure CSS, in a modern style
- StyleStage and CSS Zen Garden - showcases for CSS layouts.
- CSS Challenges - Codepen has a set of challenge codes, in this case teaching CSS concepts.
- Free Frontend - index of code snippets
- Templatesss - Neocities with some fun static page layouts
- Tess Is A Mess - Insanejournal with a selection of html layouts for RP games, some intense skill here
- Within My World - small collection of html layouts
- Brad's Terrible Ideas - code snippets that will do awful, awful things on your site, like blinking and shuddering and blurring text.
- f(o)0nt - a collection of pixel fonts, ideal for making mini artworks with
- Fontcity - neocities site hosting fonts for your site
- Font Library
- The League of Moveable Type
- Omnibus Type
- Tumblr Backgrounds
- Some of these are customiseable online?!
- Background Tiles
- Make a gradient!
- Dokodemo @ neocities
- Sadness' 90s collection (test online!)
- LejlArt - incredibly cute pixel art backgrounds
- keysklubhouse @ neocities.org
- omoulo @ neocities
- Bonnibel's pixel collection
- Gifcities - Search engine for gifs straight from geocities via wayback machine
How to autoplay youtube music
I figured this out by perusing the code at https://encounters-ltd.neocities.org/
Step 1: go to Youtube. Under your video, click Share > Embed, and copy the code in the box. It'll say something about iframes.
Step 2: paste it into the body section of your webpage
Step 3: edit the code. Set width and height to 0, so the video will not appear visually on the page.
Step 4: Now, edit the youtube url. Add "?&autoplay=1" to the end. So, from
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMawfy7mgrs?&autoplay=1"This will make the music autoplay.
Step 5: Sweet work!